Tuesday 28 July 2009

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Awake: 6:10am Temp 62 sleep 5+34 sunny overnight @ Nicktown, PA.

After the Koffee Klub meeting this morning, Kathy went to the church hall to help make more noodles & I visited the Krumenacker Hardware Store. I purchased a Junction box, GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) & a waterproof cover assembly for the junction box.

After my breakfast, I picked more blueberries on our property; they are really good. Then my local partner in crime, John, drove into our driveway. Just recently, my neighbor Al has been having trouble with his riding mower; John volunteered to help me help Al's fix.

At the Koffee Klub Al described his riding mower problem as: "one of the two blades doesn't seem to be cutting grass and, whenever I stop the engine, one of the blades continues spinning.

John & I gathered some tools from my tool box & we walked across the field to Al's manicured property. Another problem popped up when we saw Al; he said his mower engine won't start now. John & I witnessed Al's attempt at starting the engine &, sure enough, there was a strong fuel smell. John raised the cowling & I removed the spark plug. It was drenched with fuel. However, there in our mist...was a strong clue to this dilemma: a good sized mouse house sitting on top of the engine just to the right of the air cleaner.

After John cleaned the air filters & engine with Al's air compressor, I wrapped the ignition wire leading to the spark plug with electrical tape. Quite a bit of that rubberized coating on the ignition wire had been chewed off, perhaps stealing some spark from the spark plug.
Then Al turned the ignition key & vroom, that engine powering the Poulan Pro mower came to life instantly.

Next, we pushed the mower about (10) ft into a shady area; using a wooden box, we tilted the side of the mower that had the free spinning blade & blocked it up. Now the problem was obvious; somehow this blade was not tightened enough to the star detent & caused the blade to freely spin.

John & I decided to remove the bearing as well; due to the star detent being so worn down, it needed to be replaced. We gave Al the worn parts that needed replacement & told Al if he could get the replacement parts, we would highly consider putting everything back together this afternoon.

While Al drove to Spangler for parts, I invited John over to our motorhome & asked Kathy if she would like to join us in having some wine, cheese & crackers. After she put the wine & snack together, she joined us outside.

Would you believe, Al returned with a big smile in about (20) min with all new parts. Since rain is forecasted for tomorrow, we campers finished our wine & snack time & then went back to work & finished the job (except for (3) screws that need replacing). John & I both enjoy helping our near neighbors when & if we can.

Dinner: leftover Italian sausage & spaghetti, mixed salad & Bing Cherries.

Lights out: 12:02am

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.kirsch.org/mt/mt-tb.cgi/2922

Leave a comment


Monthly Archives

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by George Monte Kirsch published on July 31, 2009 4:18 AM.

Monday 27 July 2009 was the previous entry in this blog.

Wednesday 29 July 2009 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.